Don't explain, don't apologise

For a project I have in mind for sometime in the future I was researching quotes from artists. And I came across this terrible terrible advice...

 

Luckily I turned to the greats and found...

"Painting is a language which cannot be replaced by another language. I don't know what to say about what I paint, really." - Balthus

"I refuse to confide and don’t like it when people write about art." - Balthus

"Everything that is visible hides something that is invisible" - Rene Magritte

"The purpose of art is mystery" - Rene Magritte 

"For art to appear, we must disappear" -  Stephen Nachmanovitch

"The artist must be void" - Balthus

"Avoid tautology" - Geoff Dyer/John Berger (don’t’ describe a picture which is in front of you)

"One must picture everything in the world as an enigma, and live in the world as if in a vast museum of strangeness" - Giorgio de Chirico

"The artist performs only one part of the creative process. The onlooker completes it, and it is the onlooker who has the last word." - Marcel Duchamp

"Never apologize, never explain. Just get the thing done and let them howl." – Agnes Macphail

That last quote is about politics, but it could be applied to art.


Comments

  1. Couldn't agree more.

    Of course, the thing that GPT-3 is supremely good at is writing artist manifestos

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've worked on it for poetry, have you really done it for artistic manifestos? We should create a movement based on whatever GPT-3 comes up with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. I'll see if I can coax something out of it ...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3D printers – about time I got one eh?

How I don't learn from experience