Twisted Snobbery

 I was brought up with the glottal stop, or I learned it from my friends.  Wikipedia says:

The glottal stop or glottal plosive is a type of consonantal sound used in many spoken languages, produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract or, more precisely, the glottis. The symbol in the International Phonetic Alphabet that represents this sound is ⟨ʔ⟩

In English it often replaces a "t" sound and was considered an error. So I used to have the gloʔal stop. And when I hear it it takes me back in time and it does not irritate me.

But when I hear people say "anythink" I want to scream at them. "There's a g at the end of anything, not a k!" And even friends in their 60s who used to say "anything" have learned to say "anythink". Even Radio 3 and Radio 4 guests have been heard to use it.

Hence the twisted snobbery of mine. I don't mind my own "mistake" in pronunciation, but I'm extremely irritated by this new "mistake". 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I don't learn from experience

How to use the wonderful Veho microscope